GFD responds to three vehicle collisions Monday
By Gettysburg Fire
February 6, 2024

Gettysburg Firefighters and fire police responded to three vehicle collisions on Monday, February 5.

At 1:50pm, GFD responded to the southbound lanes of US 15 near Hunterstown Road for a pickup truck that left the roadway and continued behind the guard rail and over the embankment into Rock Creek. The vehicle truck overturned and came to a stop , resting up against the culvert and suspended upside down. The driver self-extricated from the vehicle and was evaluated by AREMS for minor injuries. County EMA was contacted for vehicle fluids in the creek. Responding units included PSP, AREMS, GFD Rescue 1, and Fire Police from Co. 1 & 25.

The second accident was minor, at York Road and Natural Springs Road at approximately 6:35pm.

The third accident was dispatched at 1:09am, located on York Road between Calvary Field Road and Flickinger Road. GFD Rescue 1 and Engine 1-1 arrived and found a large debris field, a pickup truck with significant damage and a tractor-trailer off the roadway over a small embankment into the front yard of a nearby residence.

The driver of the tractor-trailer self-extricated and was uninjured. The pickup truck was found to have 1 occupant (the driver) heavily entrapped. Initial patient contact was hampered due to the damage incurred. After gaining a small window for patient contact, determined the occupant was deceased. Extrication was stopped until the arrival of PSP and the Adams County Coroner.

Once their investigation was complete, Rescue 1 and Rescue 33 worked together to extricate the occupant. PennDot was notified to assist with debris removal and provided a sand truck for oil and fuel spilled as well as a salt truck. County EMA was notified and responded to handle the large amount of diesel fuel that leaked from the tractor-trailer into the ground.

Upon completion of fire department services, Rescue 1 and Engine 1-1 returned along with Rescue 33 after approximately four hours on scene. Fire Police from companies 1, 14, 20, 22, 25, and 33 remained on scene for seven hours until approximately 8:30am on Tuesday 2/6 assisting with closing York Road for clean-up and vehicle removal.